Honorary Membership of IUCN, which recognizes outstanding services to the conservation of nature and natural resources, is presented by the World Conservation Congress, on the recommendation of the IUCN Council, to individuals who have made exceptional contributions to furthering the goals of the Union.
Honorary members include distinguished former Presidents and Directors General, members of IUCN’s Council, members of Commissions and international figures who have contributed their valuable time and energy to implementing the Mission of IUCN.
Honorary Membership of IUCN was awarded on 11 September 2012, at the IUCN World Conservation Congress, to eleven outstanding individuals:
- Dr Abdulaziz Abuzinada, Saudi Arabia
- Ms Angela Cropper, Trinidad and Tobago
- Dr Aila Keto, Australia
- His Excellency, The State President, Lieutenant General Seretse Khama Ian Khama, Botswana
- Mr Veit Koester, Denmark
- Dr Russell Mittermeier, USA
- Dr Ian Player, South Africa
- Professor Nicholas Robinson, USA
- Dr Marina Silva, Brazil
- Mr Achim Steiner, Germany
- Professor Randolph Robert Thaman, Fiji
More information below: